3. Category Display
Having explored the structure of results in terms of the Web, now the
user wishes to impose new categories and distinctions, and to explore results
to a finer level of granularity than the page.
The user has chosen a different type of display in FindItAll called the
Category Display. Where the previous displays reflected the structure of
the Web URLs or features of the pages themselves (their date, size, title),
the Category Display reflects the interests, context and distinctions of
Where in the previous displays each entry represented a Web page (URL),
each entry in the category display represnts an excerpt. These are
constructed by FindItAll as follows:
- The search query is submitted to the search engine, as before.
- For each page (URL) that is returned, FindItAll begins by matching
each instance of the query in the page.
- For each instance of the query, a "window" is calculated
around the query that defines a reasonable context for the query.
- Using Grasp's proprietary HTML Snipping code, the excerpt defined by
the window is extracted from the source HTML page, preserving the complete
look-and-feel of the original HTML page. Layout, formatting, backgrounds,
graphics and hot links are preserved as in the original page.
- An entry is placed in the Category Display that represents the excerpt
to the user.
As before the user can select an entry and receive a menu of functions,
- View Excerpt: Displays the HTML excerpt in the browser, with same look-and-feel
of the original, and with category names marked in the text for ease of
- View Expanded Excerpt: Enlarge the excerpt and display the excerpt,
with markers around all instances of category names
- View Document: Display the complete Web page in the browser
- View Marked Document: Display the complete Web page with markers around
all instances of category names
- Make Excerpts from Linked Pages: For every link contained on the source
page for this excerpt, go to each page and create excerpts based on the
In the display below, the user has chosen an entry and requested to View
Excerpt, which is shown in the browser on the left. This entry chosen by
the user is colored blue and shown in the FindItAll display on the right.
Additional functions have to do with manipulation of categories, and
are explained in subsequent pages.
PREVIOUS SCREEN NEXT SCREEN
PANGARO Incorporated Home Page